Nationwide Children's High Resolution Imaging Facility
The High-Resolution Research Imaging Facility provides comprehensive research imaging support services.
The facility provides state-of-the-art imaging capabilities that expand our ability to generate and answer difficult research questions and provide an important platform enhancing our translational research programs.
The facility is organized into imaging suites, each loaded with specialty equipment.
Nuclear Imaging Suite:
- GE eXplore Locus CT: This high-and-low-resolution CT is capable of revealing bone and hard tissue structure just above cellular level. It includes 3-D reconstruction software, providing an “anatomic map” of both bone and organ structure.
- GE eXplore PET/CT: While this equipment can be used as a low-level CT or as a PET scan, its value lies in its ability to perform PET and CT simultaneously. With this feature, users can get an “anatomic map” of bone and tissue structure, combined with functional metabolic data. Thus, investiga¬tors can better detect abnormally functioning tissues and malformations (such as tumors) and pinpoint their exact location in relation in the body.
- GE Workstation: Addressing the need for rapid imaging, the GE Workstation includes hard drive capacity to regenerate, within minutes instead of hours, the images captured by the machines in the Nuclear Imaging Suite.
- Faxitron X-Ray: This 2-D X-ray equipment provides high resolution digital imaging, instead of using standard X-ray film.
- VisualSonics Vevo 770: This non-invasive ultrasound pro¬vides a simple method for viewing and quantifying extremely small physiological structures and for imaging living tissue and blood flow with near-microscopic resolution. Committed to the placement and utilization of truly state-of-the-art equipment and capabilities, we are upgrading to the VisualSonics Vevo2100 in 2009.
Bioluminescence and Flourescence Suite:
- Lightools Pan-A-See: This Lightools version provides outstanding tissue penetrance capability, can process multiple colors simultaneously, instead of one, and has the capability of generating 3-D whole-body fluorescence images.
- Xenogen IVIS Spectrum: This latest and most powerful version of the Xenogen IVIS product contains enhanced cameras and higher registration capabilities. In addition, it can register bioluminescence and fluorescence simultaneously.
Contact the Imaging Facility
(614) 690-1348 (pager)
Louis Chicoine, MD